Early Intervention (EI)
About the data
Latest data: FY2022 (FY2007 through FY2022 with the exception of 2014)
Early intervention (EI) is a statewide Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) program that provides supports and services for families to help their children under age 3 meet developmental milestones.
EI services include, but are not limited to, developmental evaluations and assessments, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech/language therapy, developmental therapy, service coordination, psychological services, and social work services.
Source of definition: Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS)
Illinois Early Childhood Clearinghouse provides basic information and infographics about Illinois Early Intervention on its Provider Toolbox page.
Data available on IECAM
Number of children served
The number of children with an active Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP). The reported number is the average of the monthly figures for the state fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).
Source of data: Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) Bureau of Early Intervention
Geographic region: These data are available by state and county.
Note that data on the number of children with active IFSPs excludes children who have been referred and evaluated/or assessed but who were not found eligible as well as those who were found eligible but whose involvement does not proceed to IFSP development.
For additional information about the early intervention program, see the IDHS Early Intervention webpage.
For privacy reasons, IDHS data on the number of children served are not reported for areas in which there were fewer than 10 children served.
Because data are not reported for all counties, the sum of counties does not equal the total number of children served for the state as a whole.
Yearly differences in data definitions / descriptions
For past years, there are some differences in the data definition/description, compared with the most recent year.
- In FY2022, there were 102 students who received services outside the state.
- In FY2020, there were 123 students who received services outside the state.
- In FY2019, there were 88 students who received services outside the state.
- In FY2018, there were 107 children who received early intervention services outside the state.
- In FY2017, there were 189 children who received early intervention services outside the state.
- In FY2016, there were 232 children who received early intervention services outside the state.
- For FY2014, data are not available by county. The number of children served for the state of Illinois was 20,342. In the online database, selecting the year 2014 will result in a display of the data for the year 2013 (i.e., the latest year available as of 2014).