Latest data: FY2020 (FY2007 through FY 2020 with the exception of 2014)
Early Intervention is a statewide Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) program that provides supports and services for families to help their children under age 3 meet developmental milestones.
EI services include, but are not limited to: developmental evaluations and assessments, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech/language therapy, developmental therapy, service coordination, psychological services, and social work services.
Source of definition: Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS)
IDHS Early Intervention Program data on IECAM:
Illinois Department of Human Services Early Intervention Program, Number of children served
The total number of children (<1 yr, 1 yr, and 2 yrs of age) served by the Early Intervention (EI) program of the Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS).
Source of data: Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS) Early Intervention program
Geographic region: These data are available by state and county.
Note: Data on the number of children in the Early Intervention program are available by a number of different counts. This most accurately represents the number of children who are actually receiving services. The data are point-in-time data for a date in October of the fiscal year. For additional information on the Early Intervention program, see the EI program page on the DHS Web site.
Note on data suppression: For privacy reasons, IDHS Early Intervention data on the number of children served are not reported for areas in which there were fewer than 10 children served.
Because data are not reported for all counties, the sum of counties does not equal the total number of children served for the state as a whole.
Yearly differences in data definitions/descriptions
For past years, there are some differences in the data definition/description, compared to the most recent year. These are indicated here.
- Note on FY2019 data: In FY2019, there were 88 students who received services outside of the state.
- Note on FY2018 data: In FY2018, there were 107 children who received early intervention services at sites outside the state of Illinois.
- Note on FY2017 data: In FY2017, there were 189 children who received early intervention services at sites outside the state of Illinois.
- Note on FY2016 data: In FY2016, there were 232 children who received early intervention services at sites outside the state of Illinois.
- Note on FY2014 data: For FY2014, data are not available by county. The number of children served for the state of Illinois was 20,342. In the online database, selecting the year 2014 will result in a display of the data for the year 2013 (i.e., the latest year available as of 2014).