Early Head Start (EHS) is a federally funded community-based program for low-income families with infants and toddlers and pregnant women. Its mission is to promote healthy prenatal outcomes for pregnant women, enhance the development of very young children, and promote healthy family functioning.
Source of definition: Early Head Start National Resource Center (EHSNRC)
Date of definition: June 2007
Note: View definitions of data variables related to Head Start:
The total number of children that an Early Head Start center is funded by the Office of Head Start to enroll at any one time.
Source of data: Illinois Head Start Association, Chicago Youth Services, Ounce of Prevention
Date of data: FY 2007 (school year 2006-2007)Geographic region: These data are available by state, county, township, IL State Senate district, IL State House district, ISBE region, and IDHS region.
Note on source: The data are derived from three sources:
- Illinois Head Start Association (ILHSA) provided data for sites outside the City of Chicago.
- Chicago Youth Services (CYS) provided data for those sites in the City of Chicago for which it served as grantee (the vast majority of the sites).
- Ounce of Prevention provided data for sites in the City of Chicago for which it served as grantee (a few sites).
Note: The number of children that an Early Head Start center is funded to enroll at any one time may not be the same as the number that the center serves over the course of a school year. Because children may leave the site or center and be replaced by other children, the funded enrollment may be less than the total number of children served.
Note: EHS data for Chicago are not yet incorporated into the EHS data for FY2007 on IECAM.
Agencies or organizations that contract with the Office of Head Start to provide or subcontract Early Head Start services in their area.
Source of data: Illinois Head Start Association (ILHSA)
Date of data: November 2007Geographic region: These data are available by 47 grantee service areas within the State of Illinois.
Note: View a list of Head Start grantees for FY2007 .
Note: Early Head Start is a child development program for low-income families. Each Early Head Start program is responsible for determining its own eligibility criteria. Family income is one key factor in determining eligibility. (See the EHSNRC page)
Web Resources: Head Start
- Office of Head Start
- How can I get my child into Head Start?
- Head Start: Legislation, Policies & Regulations
- Head Start Timeline
- Head Start Act of 2007
- Early Head Start National Resource Center (EHSNRC)
- Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center (ECLKC)
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)